My recent trips to Peru, Bolivia, and Scotland, has provided me with impressive direct experiences of numerous ancient monuments built to capture the precise rising and/or setting of the December solstice Sun. It is as if these monuments were built with this time in mind. For only now, (and the mirror image time 12,500-13,000 years ago) can the rising and setting Sun be experienced at the solstice, Milky Way, and zodiacal intersection.
I propose that all shamanically and experientially oriented individuals prepare for participating in conscious ceremony and festivals, especially during the winter solstices of 1997 and 1998,(*7) celebrating the end and beginning of a galactic year. The rising Sun at winter solstice is a marvelous opportunity to receive a transmission of galactic intelligence directly from galactic center, for dreaming and co-creating the next great age.
*1. The Shamanic Astrology Handbook by Daniel Giamario and Carolyn Brent (now known as Cayelin K Castell).
*2. Some of the more interesting proposals are:
- 1962 AD The great conjunction of planets in Aquarius
- 2018 AD The movement of the star Regulus into the sign of Virgo (from Dane Rudhyar)
- 2376 AD Vernal Equinox enters the constellation of Aquarius as defined by the sidereal zodiac of Fagan and Bradley
If we use the tropical zodiac to create twelve equal ages, then each age is about 2160 years long. If we date the beginning of the Piscean age at approximately 100 BC, then the current time is very near the entry into the next constellation of Aquarius. If we use the constellational boundaries of Ptolemy, the vernal equinox will not reach Aquarius until after 2600 AD.
*3. Various numbers of years have been given for this cycle. The number of years is probably not entirely stable and may oscillate a bit over time. Dane Rudhyar uses 25,868 years because that is used in Blavatsky’s Secret Doctrine. Charles Jayne uses 25,694 years. Most popular literature currently uses 25,920 years. My personal favorite exact figure is 25,800 years used by many astronomers such as Guy Ottewell. To simplify, I use the rounded figure of 26,000 years for the cycle.
*4. Chimey Rock, Colorado, Chaco Canyon, New Mexico, Callanish, Scotland and many others
*5. The precise location of Galactic Center, currently at about 27 degrees Sagittarius, lies below the ecliptic and thus below and to the right of the intersection of the Milky Way and zodiacal constellations. But it’s pretty close.
*6. From a personal correspondence
*7. These could be the exact ceremonial timings, but note that the greater festival has already begun and will last until 2012.
- Suggested Bibliography for Research on The Turning Of The Ages:
- Hamlet’s Mill by Girogio de Santillana and Hertha Von Deschend, Boston: Gambit 1969
- The Myth of Replacement : Stars, Gods, And Order In The Universe by Thomas Worthen, University of Arizona Press, Tucson, 1991
- Astrological Essays or Essays on Astrology by Robert Hand
- The essay which is a commentary on Jung’s book The Aeon, concerning the movement of the vernal equinox through the stars of Pisces.
- Astrological Timing by Dane Rudyar
- The Origin of the Zodiac by Cyril Fagen
- The Astronomical Companion and The Astronomical Calendar by Guy OHewell, Astronomical Workshop, Furman University, Greenville, S.C. 29613
- The History of the Zodiac (pamphlet), Astro Communication Services
- The Glorious Constellations, History and Mythology, Giuseppe Maria Sesti, Harry N Abrams, Inc. New York, 1987
Order and information on The Shamanic Astrology Handbook